The Scotland Church was organized on October 17, 1821. The beautiful old New England church building was built in the fall of 1822 and dedicated on January 29, 1823. It is the oldest church building in Bridgewater.
A Parish Society was formed on October 23, 1821 for the purpose of erecting a meeting house for the Scotland Church. When the church was completed, Rev. Ebenezer Gay was chosen pastor. He was an able and faithful minister. Under his leadership the church grew in membership and church attendance.
The bell that hangs at Scotland Trinitarian Congregational Church was first hung in 1822 and is still in working order today.
On January 15, 1851 the Scotland Sewing Society was organized. Dues were 25 cents and the meetings were held every two weeks. The first officers were President Mrs. Raymond, Vice-President Mr.s J. Leonard, Treasurer Mrs. H. Forbes and Secretary Mrs. M. Leach.
On February 8, 1876 the Scotland Sewing Society was reorganized and became the Ladies Sociable Society and then in 1968 was again reorganized and became the Scotland Womens Fellowship.
In 1914, the church was lighted with electricity.
In 1921, the church became incorporated as a society.
On January 14, 1974, fire destroyed the church hall and kitchen.
(Information obtained from various sources within the Bridgewater History Room at the Bridgewater Public Library)